Tuesday 10 June 2014

Guest lecture at the Universita' di Bologna

From April 29 until May 3, I was invited to the Universita' di Bologna to give a guest lecture and workshop for PhD students of the research programme for Literary and Cultural Studies. My trip was funded by the Erasmus Staff Exchange Programme and the Literature and Change in Europe (LACE) university network of which both the University of Groningen and Universita' di Bologna are members.


During my lecture, "An Intertextual Family: Narrative and Identity in Grass, Rushdie and Benali", I talked about the perspective of the picaresque narrator and a subtradition of this narrative mode in the contemporary literature of migration. The discussion afterwards proved incredibly useful, with much input from the students, which I have been able to use for an article I am working on.

During the workshop, we looked at how my discussion of the picaresque narrative mode in the contemporary literature of migration and the notion of unnatural narrative could contribute to the research that the PhD students were conducting. I was impressed by the students’ intellectual rigour and the quality of their research. All in all, my stay in Bologna was pleasant and rewarding. 

The announcement of my lecture can be found here.